Southern Joint Replacement Institute - May 21, 2019
- DeBoer is a Dutch name that translates to "the farmer"
- He is from Antioch, Tennessee
- Dr. DeBoer completed undergraduate studies at Westmar College in the northwestern part of Iowa (His grandfather and several uncles and cousins are farmers from that region).
- Dr. DeBoer earned two degrees from Vanderbilt University: a medical doctorate and a master's degree in biomedical engineering. After finishing his residency in orthopaedic surgery at Vanderbilt Medical Center, Dr. DeBoer completed a fellowship under Dr. Michael Christie in 1996.
- Dr. DeBoer and Dr. Christie co-founded Southern Joint Replacement Institute in 1999. Their goal was to create a physician's practice that "strives to combine quality patient care with state-of-the-art technology and cutting-edge research."
- Dr. DeBoer is the Joint Replacement Research Program Director for Sarah Cannon Research Institute. His research is primarily focused on clinical outcomes of joint replacement surgery and biomechanics of the hip and knee joints. He currently chairs the Clinical Best Practice Committee on Joint Replacement Surgery for the 180 hospitals in the HCA Healthcare network. He, along with Kurtis Pritchard at Sarah Cannon Research Institute, have developed an application for gathering data and tracking patient outcomes.
Some interesting facts about Dr. DeBoer:
- His love of country music was influenced by working at the Grand Ole Opry on weekends from age 8 through most of his teen years.
- He worked several construction jobs including custom framing houses and hanging drywall during college at Southern Hills Hospital now TriStar Southern Hills.
- He spent a semester during his undergraduate years performing research in quantum physics at Argonne National Laboratory in Chicago, IL.
- He has written computer programs and database applications for financial companies in Nashville, TN.
- Dr. DeBoer is married to April DeBoer. Together, they have a blended family with five children.
- Outside of work,he enjoys outdoor activities including hunting, fishing, boating and golf. He is also heavily involved in the mission work of the Walk Strong Foundation and Operation Walk.